Friday, November 12, 2010

My apologies

I wish I could send a personal apology to all of the people who were at the Smiths in Bountiful on Wednesday night.
I was there doing a little grocery shopping and decided that I needed a little chocolate. So I grabbed a Snickers and put it in the cart. Well, Jayda decided that she needed a little chocolate too and started squealing and reaching her hands out for it. I handed it to her thinking that holding it would be good enough, but no. When she couldn't get the wrapper open she started squealing again and tried to get me to open it for her.
Now Jayda has had chocolate, but I am not about to feed her a Snickers so I put it back in the cart. This set her off. She proceeded to scream the whole time we were checking out and all the way out of the store. This was not a scream I had ever heard from her before. It was like I had taken a chain saw and chopped off one of her arms. The cashier behind me kindly offered me a sticker to see if that would help and it did, for about two seconds while she looked at it, scowled and then decided that she was even more mad now. I couldn't look at anyone. I just kept my head down and walked out of there as fast as I could.
Maybe that is my sign that I need to stop eating chocolate.
So, have we spoiled our child so much that we have created a monster? Are we raising the beginnings of a spoiled brat? Or is this just a phase? She's testing the waters, finding her voice? I guess we will find out, but I can't say that I will be going back to Smiths anytime soon and I am definitely not buying any candy bars either!

6 comments:

Sunshinegirl said...

That was the funniest story ever Aubrey! (though I'm sure not for you) What a little stinker. A girl just needs her chocolate & you can't deprive her of that! Sorry to say...it's more than just a phase. Hunter still does that at the store sometimes. :(

The McCloys said...

Every kid does it, it is not something to be embarrassed about. If people look at you weird it is because they dont have kids and dont understand. They only thing I can say is dont make a big deal about the temper tantrums. Ignore them, and they will pass faster and happen less frequently because they will realize they arent getting what they want by doing it. On a side note, I guess she is just a typical girl, has to have her chocolate!

One Happy Heart Family said...

Oh my I just have to laugh!! They are suck stinkers!! Kylie just did that to me too! Thats why I think it's so funny! My most embarrasing time in my whole life of being a mother!! We were in Walgreens, a quiet small store!! Waiting for her prescription, I let Landen go to toy isle with her. Walking on her own of course :0( I wanted to grab my other things while waiting and well Kylie was on a riding toy in the middle of the isle trying to push it in the box. She has the same one at home so I didn't see difference. Tried to ask her nicely to put it away, she of course said no. I picked her up put the toy on the shelf and BAM!! She started screaming and I love the way you put it!! LOL the loudest highest squeakiest scream ever, then she took off down the isle running and screaming. That little fart is fast it took 2 full isle of screaming and yelling and me running like an idiot after her!! Picked her up tried to calm her down and WHACK she smacked me right in the face yelling "your mean Mommy!" Holy smokes just be glad she didn't run off lol!! Just had to share!!

Jared said...

I remember clearly the first time that Hannah transformed from a child that was the well-behaved mezmerized by the bright lights of the store child, to the lunge desperately out of the cart at anything that looks interesting and when I try to stop her she screams like a nuclear bomb warning siren. I wish I could tell you it will be better soon, but in our case, we had to start raising our own vegetables and killing and drying our own venison at home until 4 months ago. All this because of how naughty kids are at the store. Well, at least you only have one to deal with...FOR NOW! MUAHAHAHA!!! I'm not sure why it got so evil there at the end.

wuxiheather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wuxiheather said...

The fact that you did NOT give her the candy bar shows that she is not a spoiled brat. Melia was throwing a tantrum in the car today for a Twix. Kali had given her a big chunk of one (when I wasn't looking) and she'd loved it but then when I noticed, I took it away. She kept freaking out so I kept giving her tiny little bites but not the whole thing cause I didn't want her to have it. You're probably better for not giving her any. I was worrying about the same spoiled brat thing today too. But everyone's kid throws tantrums so hopefully we're both fine and they'll both be sweethearts. :)